Chloe the German Shepherd
Say hello to Chloe, nearly 13 years old and the most gorgeous German Shepherd. In human years that makes her about 90 – doesn’t she look amazing? A grand old lady with so much life and personality. She was a real treat to have in our portrait studio. (We are based near Farnham, Surrey, by the way!)
Some interesting facts about the German Shepherd:
- They are ranked as the 3rd most intelligent dog
- A mix of beige and black is the most common color type for German shepherds, but solid black and solid white shepherds also exist.
- German shepherds can nearly instantly break into top speed, come to a sudden stop and round a sharp corner without stumbling over themselves or their surroundings. It’s one of the many reasons they’re often used as a police and military dog
- They are ranked the 2nd most popular breed in the USA
- A German Shepherd’s bite has 238 pounds of force — a human’s bite has just 86!
- When formal guide dog training began in Switzerland in the 1920s, all of the dogs trained were German Shepherds.
- The name Alsatian is also often used. This is a result of the “German” element being dropped in Europe after World War 1 because of the poor perception of the country at the time
- German shepherd Capitan ran away from home after the death of Argentinian Miguel Guzman in 2006. A week later Mr Guzman’s family went to pay their respects and found the heartbroken pet sitting by his owner’s grave, wailing. He has stayed there for 6 years.
- We have Captain Max von Stephanitz from Germany to thank for the breeding of the first German Shepherd back in 1899
- German Shepherds make up 1.8% of the world dog population!
Interesting eh? No wonder they are so loved. Do you have a German Shepherd? We would love to photograph a puppy (it’s been on our bucket list for some time) – they are so cute and bear-like – if you have one then that is less than 12 weeks old then we will give you an extra print free of charge! Go to our Bow-wowcher page and purchase your session now! Woof!